The InaugurationJanuary 21, 2009
Here are some fun little behind-the-scenes tidbits that was yesterday’s inauguration.
- People were lined up, ready to get to their seats by 4am.
- When they were let loose, it was described as a scene from 28 Days Later (zombies sprinting across the field).
- Capacity on the National Mall was reached by 7:30.
- The Metro was packed. I hear some people had to wait as long as 3 hours to get on it.
- A few friends who were ticket holders couldn’t reach their section because it was already too full.
- There was lots of hypothermia but I didn’t hear about any violence. Everyone was in a high mood.
- When Mr. Bush was shown on the big screens, people booed. When Mr. Cheney was shown on the big screens, people laughed.
- When the helicopter carried Mr. Bush away, people sang, “Nahnah nah nah, nahnah nah nah, hey hey hey, good-bye.”
An arrangement by John Williams called “Air and Simple Gifts.” Performance by Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Anthony McGill and Gabriela Montero.
“As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals.” – the president